Last night I couldn't sleep, there were just too many thoughts running through my mind. And not good thoughts necessarily, mind you, but things I was worrying about. Those do tend to be the kinds of thoughts that keep us up at night though, right?
So I got up and went to look for some verses that could speak to this. I do not want my mind to worry or think the worst things in situations.
This verse stood out to me:
"If there be ANY....."
Not all situations are good, we all know that. Some are downright nasty. And not all situations are as awful as we make them out to be in our minds either. My thinking last night was falling in the later category. Way overthinking things in a trivial matter.
Look for the ANY and the WHATSOEVER......what are the good things about the situation? As soon as I started thinking that way, a weight lifted and I began to be joyful for the circumstance. There is plenty of good in the midst of the concerns that could potentially happen, if and when such and such happens......
Filling my mind with negativity doesn't help change anything but I get it, it's hard when you're in that thinking to get out of it.
Put our eyes on Jesus. It's a continuous putting, continuously reminding ourselves to do this and asking Him to remind us.
Some would say this post isn't "Religion", as my word for the day suggests. At first I wouldn't have said so either. But you know, I sometimes think the word "Religion" has a bad rap. Following God is definitely about relationship and not religion, in the way we generally think of the word religion (following traditions, rules, etc.).
But a relationship is also about obedience. And when I look up the definition of the word religion, it rings true: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
In this case, One God, and He is a personal God.
{To see all posts in this series, click on the label "30DaysofWriting" under the title}


No comments:
Post a Comment