I should have added to my post from yesterday, about the differences between Guadalajara and Delicias, the amount of caucasians (white people) that there are...
In Delicias we probably saw only 2 other white people in the whole 2 years that we were there. There are no Mennonite colonies right by it, and the population is mostly national Mexicans. We completely got used to that and for us it felt SO strange to go to Cuauhtémoc where our co-workers lived and see Mexican Mennonites! There we didn't stick out as much as in Delicias, but we got used to being looked at and our boys got used to having their blondy hair touched eveywhere they went :-) We were comfortable with it all though.
Well in Guadalajara....we see Caucasians often (and people from other cultures also but not as much so far).
We see them at the MB church :-) the other missionaries there
We see them when we're with John and Connie ;-) since we have co workers in our city now.
We see them at Costco...today we were picking up a pizza there after church and as I was waiting I as amazed at how many other Cuaucasians I saw. It still takes me aback!!
We see them other places too, on the street, at another church we visited here yesterday...
They are here for many many things, Guadalajara is a huge city and as we are told, has many international firms and Universities that do exchange type things.
Some we've met are here as Medical students, taking their 1 or 2 years abroad, some are teaching English at Universities, some are also Missionaries, some are business people, some are retired here...
So it's just an observation that we see more white people than before :-) not good or bad...the ratio is just higher here and it's different for us. We'll probably get used to it. I think... That all said though, it is of course Mexico and there are many more national Mexicans than Cuacasians here.
Below is a little info bit that I found on Wikipedia...not sure on all the facts but we've heard this info elsewhere also and I found it interesting.
In a 2007 research of the fDi magazine Guadalajara was the highest ranking major Mexican city having the second strongest economic potential of any major North American city and only Chicago scored more highly for sheer economic potential,[7] in the same research was considered the "city of the future" due to its youthful population, low unemployment and large number of recent foreign investment deals, it was also found the third most business friendly city in North America.[
No comments:
Post a Comment