Saturday, August 20, 2011

Question: What differences have you noticed so far between Delicias and Guadalajara?

ok so I think this is the last question and then we'll get back to our "regular" posts!
Almost everytime we drive somewhere I comment that I should have my camera with me since there's so many things that looks different here that I could/should be taking a picture of. But then the next time we go somewhere I forget the camera again.

but here's a few differences between Delicias and Guadalajara...both in Mexico but Delicias in the north and Guadalajara further south.

TERRAIN, VEGETATION ETC.

Delicias is more of a deserty, arid area. It's quite dry there and you see a lot of different cactus', shrubs, etc. Delicias is a valley but is surrounded by hills/mountains...in fact everywhere we've driven in Mexico we've been surrounded by mountains! Something I didn't know before we moved here. The Delicias rainy seasons is July/Aug and that's when things start to green up and the mountains are so nice then, but from about Nov-June it's brown and dry. Imagine Manitoba in winter without the coverage of snow :-)

Guadalajara is not deserty and is more tropical looking. There are more fruit trees growing here, there are huge trees that grow over the streets and provide a canopy...there are also some cactus' but we havn't seen nearly as many as in Delicias area. Since I've been bad taking pics lately...theres just a couple below. The one on the left is an elephant tree, it's in our backyard...they come in all sizes, this one is about as tall as Carter. The tree on the right gives you a glimpse of a large tree...but there are some much larger with much cooler roots and branches for climbing on.


In Guadalajara we are also surrounded by hills/mountains but again are more in a valley where we are.
I promise soon I will get some more pics! There's much more to show you.

WEATHER

Right now we are in rainy season in Guadalajara and everything is beautiful and green. But when we were here visiting in March, everything was brown and dry. Overall though it's more humid here. BUT the temps aren't so extreme as in Delicias.

In Delicias we had temps of 40ish or more for all of May/June...then 30 or so for July/Aug then in the winter, Nov-Feb it was cold!! It gets below freezing and when a brick house has no heat....that's cold. Believe you me. And if you say you'd love 40 or more for 2 mths straight...try it! and then tell me what you think :-) There though we had an air cooler in our house, not like an air conditioning, but it kept our house at about 28 degrees which was really nice.

now in Guadalajara, the temps aren't as extreme, as I said. But I won't say too much...because we han't been here year round yet. I know though that there aren't 40 degree temps too often and the winter isn't as cold. It's just a nice temp for the most part. Right now we're sitting at 25-30 during the days. They do tell us that in the winter though we'll be using our heater to heat our house a little since again, house with no central heat. We also don't have an air cooler in the house now so in the summer it may feel hotter inside.

LANGUAGE

I thought there would be more differences in the Spanish from here to the north, but not much. In Chihuhua State though you say the "CH" as "SH", where as here it's a harder "CH" sound, so that's something I need to change :-) I still catch myself saying it the SH  way. I grew up knowing spanish, always saying the CH...and after 2 yrs in Delicias of saying SH it's hard to break the habit! Otherwise though I think it's mostly expressions that are different.

FOOD

Again, I've really not seen a lot of food differences. Tortillas are the same, beans are the same, meat is the same, bbq is the same...I'm sure I'll come across some yet though. oh there is a food called "Vampiros" in restaurants that I didn't have up north...but it's much like a tostada.

And they eat meatballs here...which we never saw eaten in Delicias.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...