We're back with some more questions answered:
Where do you shop?
Clothes wise...I don't know yet! When we lived in Northern Mexico we were only 5 hrs from the US border so we would do all {most of} of our clothes shopping when we went up there. Seriously, the price of things is cheaper there b/c so many products in Mexico are American so they cost more here b/c of transporting, etc. You can buy localy made clothes as well, at markets or superstores, although the quality is not as good. I have bought some shirts though at places that would be like a WalMart.
Very close to our house {10 min away} is the Galerias mall....huge mall with a movie theatre, Imax, 3 stories tall, lots of American brand name stores, Marble Slab ice-cream, restaurants, etc etc etc. It is a very busy mall and the prices would be about the same as in a Canadian mall or slightly higher. If you buy things on sale then they're not bad. BUT for example, shopping at Sears here in Mexico is more expensive than in Canada or the US...things are just priced a little higher.
Below is part of the outside of the mall and part of the inside...
If you don't want to buy clothes at the mall, you could buy clothes at the superstore/grocery store places or at the market downtown {havn't been to the one here in Guadalajara yet}. We'll have to see where we end up buying clothes, I think it'll just be wherever we find a good deal.
And, we have.....
Costco!! Exciting :-) But BAD for me b/c I see things in there that I can't get and havn't been able to get in Mexico before moving here and it makes me want to buy them......I don't have a ton of extra storage space though so that should prevent me from buying too many bulk items.
I might have to save some of that for my special Christmas time shopping. Although, there are some things that we do want to buy there b/c they are cheaper than elsewhere and Costco is 1 of our main shopping stops when we run out of certain things. The Costco here is always very very full and a couple of weeks when I was standing in line, the lady behind me started talking to me {b/c I had Brady with me and he's a natural drawing factor!} We ended up going for coffee yesterday and we had a good time! We've talked about getting together as families so we pray we can connect more with this family.
and yes I can get...Costco muffins and eat at the restaurant and have huge hotdogs or pizza :-) That was a fun tradition when I was younger, going into the city to shop at Costco and have lunch there.
On to, Soriana. Or WalMart. Or Mega. They're all about the same, all comparable to a Superstore or a ...WalMart. In Delicias I mostly did all of my grocery shopping at Soriana but here the closer one is called Mega so that's where I go. These stores are where tons of people also do their grocery shopping.
hmm what else do we shop for? Can't think of anything right now. We get gas at Pemex...all gas stations are run by the government and all are called Pemex.
oh we also went to Tonala one day, it is on the other side of the city and is a touristy artisan area. You can get paintings, pottery, etc etc, it's a huge area. We picked up some pots for our plants in front of our house and we plan to go back there someday to have a headboard and bookshelf made. If you get them made...much cheaper than buying new at a furniture store.
And the Weather?
Is WONDERFUL! It's at that time of year right now where we have highs of 27 every day and about lows of 18. Nice and sunny during the day and every other day or so we get a little rain shower and some thunder, usually in the evenings. We're liking this weather! In winter it'll be colder and April/May or so (I think that's when) it gets hotter.




I enjoyed this post. It's neat to read about the similarities/differences just here in Mexico.
ReplyDeleteWhen we lived in Guanajuato, I did all my shopping at a Mega (very nice superstore) and would buy clothes on our occasional trips to the border every few months.
Here in Tapachula, I shop at the Walmart across the road from our fraccionomiento, and we also have a Sam's Club right down the road. And right now as far as clothes, I just have my family ship me cheap clothes from the States when they send a package!!
p.s. I hope the internet soon comes back on at your house...and I'd love to see pics of your new place!!