My coffee is ready to brew and the cookies are ready to be put out on the plate. My lesson is printed off (with the help of Brady who likes to grab the papers out of the printer) and my whiteboard is set to go.
![]() |
| A picture from last year's class |
The good thing is that most of the ladies that come have a good enough English that they can have a decent conversation already. They have all studied it in school (much the same way we would have studied French in school back in Canada) but feel like they need help with certain grammar aspects and mostly just need practice having conversations. So we have a lot of conversation time! I generally pick a topic for each lesson and then we do games, grammar studies, or take turns having conversations about specific topics.
![]() |
| Brady and his friend playing in the backyard while the moms learn English |
But I do enjoy the actual class time so that is good. The class is made up of a neighbour, moms from our kid's school, and another friend of a friend. Even though they didn't all know each other before, we have a lot of fun together
So why am I teaching English though?? Well, we look for ways to connect with people and get to know more people, as I said in the last post. And guess what, soooo many people here want to know English! It's not just for fun, but it really is something that gives them advancements in schools and work, as there are many American business' here in Guadalajara. It is a big advantage to people to know English here. So I keep at it because it's a need that people ask me for - I haven't advertised or said I wanted to start a class, but rather they have all asked if I could teach them, and it also is a good way of building relationships in a smaller group, which we pray will lead towards sharing with them God's plan of salvation!
All right, 10 more minutes...time to heat my own coffee in the microwave left from this morning :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment