So after my {sorta} complaing in my last post about the laser eye surgery, I thought I should update again after today's chek-up.
{forgive my spelling mistakes that are sure to come... I think this keyboard need some cleaning as a bunch of the keys seem to not be working so well...and these pictures have nothing at all to with my surgery but I thought they may break up the text}
| Brady and Logan. Brady is liking my gel these days. |
Anyway, when I originally went for a consultation before the surgery, the eye doctor was telling me about amblyopia and my brain, and how my eyesight would still be blury after the surgery etc and I didn't exactly understand what he was saying. Even with those things though, he felt that I should have the surgery and I also felt that I should.
Fast forward...to day 5 after I posted. I started doing a bunch more research and then I began to understand what he had been saying. Like I've said my left eye that had the surgery has always been really, really bad. Like practically useless.
And now I know that it is called "lazy eye" or techncally has "amblyopia". There are different types but mine is refractive amlyopia, which you can look up, but basically it means my eyes have always been like this - one really good and one really bad and not shaped properly. Because of that, my brained has learned over the last 30 years to basically ignore what my bad eye was seeing.
Which is why even though my eye is now shaped perfectly after the surgery, my brain is used to ignoring that eye which is why my eyesight is still blurry. As time goes on it shold get somewhat better as te brain figures out that the images are no longer so awful.
So that's the long story short.
But how is my eye now...day 10?
So much better than day 5!!
That foggy feelng I had is gone, and I think it was somewhat from healing from the surgery and likely somewhat from the eyedrops I had to use hourly. Now my drops are every 2 hour and every 4 hours. I still find it sensitive to light and often feels dry, but otherwise feeling great.
Vision wise...also getting better! Today at my check-up I could read even smaller letters than I could at last week's check-up, AND I could read 3 lines smaller letters than I could before the surgery, with the best corrective lenses in front of that eye!! Meaning that after lasik, I can see better than I would be able to even had I stuck to glasses.
I keep second-guessing how bad it was before and if it has actually improved that drastically but Dallas says "Tara....I saw you take that eye test before the surgery!! You couldn't see anything with that eye!" tis true.
It is still blurred but waaaaay better than my sight was. The doctor tells me the vision in that eye will never be the same as my good eye, b/c of he amblyopia thing, but that it should continue to improve.
So I am happy with it.
(and with both eyes open I see pefectly as my right eye is perfect...no blurriness with both eyes open. but who wants a useless eye if it doesnt have to be??)
Yeah I know this is a long speech here but believe you me, I could go on and on...
No comments:
Post a Comment